[Samba] Client SAMBA under AIX

Jay Fenlason fenlason at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 02:54:13 GMT 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 12:47:16PM +0100, TIXIER Michel wrote:
> Hello,
> I have  SAMBA servers that work under Linux  (RedHat) and
> under  Unix  ( IBM AIX 4.3.2 ).
> All the clients at the moment are Linux and work correctly.
> Now, I would like some AIX machines can access the
> SAMBA filesystems.
> My problem is that the syntax of mount command used on  Linux :
>     'mount -t smbfs -ouid=....,gid=....,passwd=....  samba_service
> mount_point'
> doesn't work with the mount command on AIX.
> (system response is : mount:  '-o' 'Directory/File Name' invalid with
> the '-t' option.)
> Could anybody tell me how I can do ?

smbmount is used to enable the Linux kernel smbfs filesystem module.
smbfs is not part of Samba.  And the functionality provided by the
smbfs module cannot be provided by any user-space program on any
normal Unix-like operating system.  The functionality must be provided
by the operating system kernel.  So in order to get AIX to provide
similar functionality, you must contact IBM, and convince them to add
client SMB filesystem support to AIX.  Good luck!

			-- JF