[Samba] smbclient sending command to windows servers

Martin Corona webwarrior at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 1 21:24:40 GMT 2003

I once used smbclient (or something in the smb suite) to send a command to
windows and reset my windows password.
I can't recall how I did it though (over a year ago).

What I would really like to do is use smb to send a command to a windows
machine that would run a script (shutting down Interwoven)
and then back up all the Interwoven files using rsync.  The RSYNC portion
is easy since I mounted the windows system  in /etc/fstab as
//iw1.newyork.ibm.com/iw-home /mnt/iw1 smbfs credentials=/root/.iw1passwd
0 0

Speaking of that line, I can't seem to get it mounted RO.

anyway, can you use SMB to send commands to windows machines?
If so, how?  Because I can not remember how I reset a windows password
once using a linux smbclient.

Martin Corona