No subject

Mon Dec 1 12:27:21 GMT 2003

solutions we have evaluated are NFS clients that can be installed on
Windows, in order to access data from UNIX server through NFS. The 2
solutions we have evaluated are Hummingbird NFS Maestro and Intergraph
Disk Access (also available through MS Services For UNIX).

We are not recommending the use of Samba based solutions : you report a
data corruption issue at <COMPANY X>; I have been on my side reported data
corruption issue at <COMPANY Y> with Samba based solutions. These 2 issues
added to the fact that Samba solutions do not support NFS locking
interoperability are enough not to recommend such solutions.

What is documented corresponds to what we have successfully evaluated
and what we could recommend a customer to evaluate if looking for an UNIX/NT
interoperability solution (we also recommend customers to verify that these
tools match their own constraints (from a security, performance, ..., points
of view). If a customer reports a problem specific to one of these tool, we
would be able to provide some support as we have this software available for
problem determination, but in the case the problem was in the NFS client
itself (and not in CATIA code), we would not be able to provide direct
support on these tools are they are third party components, supported by
their respective vendors.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

------_=_NextPart_001_01C28C00.1C8D5BF0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2654.45">
<TITLE>locking &quot;issue&quot;</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Dear list,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I personally think this is a non-issue, but I may be =
incorrect.&nbsp; If it is a non issue I need to find a way to get some =
communication going on making it evident to the devlopers of a software =
program.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have strict locking =3D YES (which is by default =
set to NO) set</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and I have been repeatedly told that there is a =
locking issue within SAMBA.&nbsp; I don't believe this is the case as =
we are pushed towards a propriatary client.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Basically it boils down to this...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>1.) Samba has been stable...no/few issues</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>2.) Locking is set to strict...shouldn't have the =
issues that COMPANY X and COMPANY Y had right?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>3.)Why do I want to pay thousands of dollars because =
COMPANY X and COMPANY Y couldn't figure out that locking should be =
set.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Now what I'm asking if:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>A.) Is this locking issue is indeed resolved by me =
setting this lock?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>B.) Even if that setting resolves said issue or not =
- what can I do to get some communication open for testing so we don't =
have to purchase X product because of a simple fix or setting =
change.&nbsp; I'd be more than happy to get ahold of some developers at =
this place to get some kind of a dialog set up.&nbsp; It _should_ be in =
their best intrest to get interoprability going with samba as we aren't =
the only customer running it with thier products.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The following message is from a developer at the =
software company...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>From an UNIX / NT interoperability point of view, it =
is correct that the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>solutions we have evaluated are NFS clients that can =
be installed on </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Windows, in order to access data from UNIX server =
through NFS. The 2 </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>solutions we have evaluated are Hummingbird NFS =
Maestro and Intergraph </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Disk Access (also available through MS Services For =
UNIX). </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We are not recommending the use of Samba based =
solutions : you report a </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>data corruption issue at &lt;COMPANY X&gt;; I have =
been on my side reported data corruption issue at &lt;COMPANY Y&gt; =
with Samba based solutions. These 2 issues added to the fact that Samba =
solutions do not support NFS locking </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>interoperability are enough not to recommend such =
solutions. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What is documented corresponds to what we have =
successfully evaluated </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and what we could recommend a customer to evaluate =
if looking for an UNIX/NT interoperability solution (we also recommend =
customers to verify that these tools match their own constraints (from =
a security, performance, ..., points of view). If a customer reports a =
problem specific to one of these tool, we would be able to provide some =
support as we have this software available for problem determination, =
but in the case the problem was in the NFS client itself (and not in =
CATIA code), we would not be able to provide direct support on these =
tools are they are third party components, supported by their =
respective vendors. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I hope this answers your question. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Regards,</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>