[Samba] Win98 problem, but not 2000/XP

Gary Lynch Gary at NuAire.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 10:15:56 GMT 2003

I'm using an old version of Samba 1.9.18p8 (it's the only one that'll
compile on the system I'm using it on) and am having trouble with Win98
clients, 2000/XP clients work OK.

Windows 98 can see the server and see the shares but can only open files
as read only and cannot browse and sub folders within the share.

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Gary

My smb.conf file is below:

[global]
   netbios name = SEQUENT
   workgroup = NUAIRE-DOMAIN
   server string = Sequent Samba Server %v
   encrypt passwords = yes
   oplocks = no
   local master = no
   domain master = no
   security = share
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   dead time = 15
   browseable = yes

[Netware]
   comment = Netware SYS volume
   path = /usr/netware/sys
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes
   guest account = nobody
   guest only = yes
   follow symlinks = yes
   wide links = no
   create mask = 666
   directory mask = 777
   default case = lower
   preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = yes

The Nuaire Group - Western Industrial Estate - Caerphilly - CF83 1NA - United Kingdom
t: +44 (0)29 2088 5911 - f: +44 (0)29 2088 7033 - e: info at nuaire.co.uk - w: www.nuaire.co.uk

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The email does not constitute a commitment by The NuAire Group.