[Samba] Server requested LANMAN password but 'client use lanman auth' is disabled

JG jg at cms.ac
Sun Aug 31 11:19:42 GMT 2003

hi,

after upgrading my client to samba v3 rc2 i got some problems with mounting one share of my file server that needs a password.
the previous version i was using (samba v3 beta3) works fine, but the rc2-version gives me an error without changing any config file.

the server is samba v3 rc2, here's its smb.conf:
[global]
   workgroup = xxxxx
   netbios name = xxxxx
   server string = Samba Server %v
   load printers = No
   show add printer wizard = No
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 1
   hostname lookups = no
   security = share
   encrypt passwords = yes
   passdb backend = smbpasswd
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   interfaces = 10.xxx.xxx.xxx/24, 192.168.0.3/24
   bind interfaces only = Yes
   local master = Yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = no
   preferred master = yes
   dns proxy = no
   dos charset = ISO8859-15
   unix charset = CP850
   display charset = CP850

then i have defined some shares which are accessible by everyone without giving a password.
but i got problems with one share, that is only for administration purpose over my internal interface:
[xxxxx]
        comment = admin purpose
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.3
        path = /
        read only = No
        create mask = 0640
        directory mask = 0750
        browsable = No
        valid users = root
        guest ok = No

-----
mount -t smbfs -o rw,username=root //192.168.0.2/xxxxx /mnt/srv
=>
Password:
Server requested LANMAN password but 'client use lanman auth' is disabled
15640: tree connect failed: SUCCESS - 0
SMB connection failed
-----

as a workaround i tried overriding the "client use lanman auth", but it doesn't work, i can set it to "yes", but testparm always shows "no".

i'm compiling samba with these parameters (gentoo ebuild):
--with-expsam=xml, --with-acl-support --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass --enable-cups --without-ldap --without-ldapsam --without-ads --with-python=no --with-readline

mounting the share from winxp works fine. what did change between beta3 and rc2 that i missed?
kernel is 2.4.19 (gentoo) where i changed the value #define SMB_MAX_PACKET_SIZE   32768 to 65536 in smb.h
if you need more info please tell me.

thanks!
JG