[Samba] Where is the default 'smb.conf' located?

Joseph Phillips jphillips at amphus.com
Wed Aug 27 19:04:30 GMT 2003

I found the default smb.conf.  Apparently the 'make install' doesn't copy it
over for you.

Instead, it remains in the source directory:

/home/amphus/samba-3.0.0rc1/examples/smb.conf.default

I moved the smb.conf.default to the /usr/local/samba/lib/ directory, and
renamed it to smb.conf.  Seems to be working.

I just don't understand why the 'make install' script did not copy this file
over for me?  Is it done this way on purpose?  If so, that's weird.