[Samba] Re: Samba PDC + WinXP = problems fetching remote profiles

Dendik dendik at pochta.ru
Fri Aug 22 14:37:53 GMT 2003

Hi!

Thanks for answering, but unfortunately, this seems to
be of no help. I already had [netlogon] service in my
config (to avoid further confusion, i add my smb.conf
at the end of this file), the only option i did not
have was "inherit permissions = No", which does not seem
to be useful for solving the problem (and did not help
also).

I have recently recogized that the problem of domain
logons is at least closely connected to the problem of
downloading "big" files (i.e. files larger than
something about 4k or even 2k). The symptoms are the
following:
  1. There are two differently behaving groups of
  programs: network neighbourhood (or something
  like that) and windows explorer, FAR, (i suppose
  that Window Commander -- for those who don't know
  what FAR is) and so on.
  2. Network Neighbourhood almost refuses to do
  anything on Samba shares -- it has long stall
  upon entering directories with names longer
  than 8 chars, and i don't remember it to
  be able to perform any file download/upload
  operations at all.
  3. WinExplorer can browse shares freely, unless
  it encounters directory containing more than
  25 entries (very strange limit -- but i checked,
  the limit is 25), where it stalls for 2 minutes.
  Also downloading files larger than something
  about 2 or 4 K always stalls for two minutes,
  and (under some unclear circumstances) sometimes
  fail completely.

I seem to be really stuck with these errors, and
i feel like i just "look in wrong direction", so
any genious ideas will be gratefully accepted :).
(Even any ideas that will help me to fix the thing :).

On Thu, Aug 22, Dragan Krnic <dkrnic at lycos.com> wrote:

> Many problems result in this message. One is you need
> a [profiles] share with a subdir named after each
> user. That user needs to have full access to it,
> for example 0700, belongs to user:users. You also need
> a [netlogon] share even if you don't use it.

> Sometimes an already existing profile is the problem.
> Try removing it (save it first for reference) and
> logging in afresh.

### Here go the most important parts from my smb.conf

[global]
; Network names and alike
workgroup = COMPUTER_CLASS
netbios name = kodomo
server string = Kodomo Samba %v
comment = BoiInformatic Computer Class

; Charset convertion
dos charset = CP866
display charset = KOI8-R
unix charset = KOI8-R

; Security
security = user
encrypt passwords = Yes
min passwd length = 6
null passwords = Yes
wide links = No
passdb backend = smbpasswd

log level = 1
log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd.%m
max log size = 10000

; Netlogon
domain logons = Yes
logon script = logon.bat
logon path = \\kodomo\profiles\%U
logon drive = H:
logon home = \\kodomo\%u

; Browse master
; preferred master = No
; local master = Yes
domain master = Yes
os level = 64
[netlogon]
path = /home/export/samba/netlogon
write list = root
read only = Yes
; browseable = No
public = No
veto oplock files = /NTUSER.DAT /ntuser.ini

[profiles]
path = /home/export/samba/profiles
read only = No
create mask = 0600