[Samba] Converting codepages (2.2.5 -> 3.0 upgrade Q)

Tom Dickson tdickson at inostor.com
Wed Aug 20 16:57:59 GMT 2003

Is there a utility that will read filenames in a Samba 2.2.5 compatible way
and right them out in a Unicode way?

The reason I ask is that I upgraded from 2.2.5 to 3.0 (partially to get
Unicode support), and some extended characters are causing problems. For
example:

Copied the file "3½ Floppy (A).lnk" to a Samba 2.2.5 share (This file is in
the SendTo directory of every profile).

On the Red Hat Linux side, it saw this file as "3« Floppy (A).lnk" (where
« is 0xAB).

Upgrade to Samba 3.0, happily run with the default unicode=yes. Samba 3.0
doesn't send the old name correctly anymore: it will show a file named "3"
that I can't open or delete (from windows 2k).

If I copy the file to the 3.0 share again, I get (on Linux): "3½ Floppy
(A).lnk".

I fixed this issue with a recursive find command and a mv command; however,
if the file names were not all the same I would have difficulty fixing it,
which is why I'm wondering if there is a utility to move from a codepage to
Unicode.

Thank you!

-Tom Dickson