[Samba] Re: The specified domain either doesn't exist or couldn't be contacte d.

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Tue Aug 19 13:35:15 GMT 2003

Fatemi, Afsheen va escriure:

> Hi list,
>
> I have installed Samba 2.2-8a on a linux box running RH 9 with LDAP backend
> as the account database. I have configured the system to function as PDC.
> When I try to join the domain from any Win2K machine, I get the following
> error:
>
> The following occured validating the name "mydomain". This condition may be
> caused by a DNS lookup problem. The specified domain either doesn't exist or
> couldn't be contacted.
>
> When I go to 'network neighborhood' I can see the PDC, but for some reason I
> can't join the domain. I have done the necessary things to join the domain
> from creating a machine account using the "./smbldap-useradd -w
> machine_name" to some suggestions from Microsoft Knowledge base like
> removing the DNS first, trying to join the domain, and then add the DNS.
>
> Any comments will be appreciated. Below is a copy of my smb.conf:

Hi,

I'm testing a new Samba PDC before deployment and I've been in a similar
situation. The best advice is to follow this tutorial:

http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/samba-pdc.html

Note this parts 5.3.3. Follow it exactly as it's explained. First, get the
Win2K to be part of no domain ("this computer is no part of the business blah
blah blah").  Then, follow the directions of 5.3.3, specialy, the following
excerps:

"you'll need to add **each** Windows **machine** into your Linux machine's
password file using vipw"

"have a **group** account specific to workstation-only accounts"

"To allow anyone to actually join, however, you'll need to add a smbpasswd
entry for the user "root" -- this is required!"

"Log in with an account that is a member of the **Local** Administrator's
group. Note that this account should **not** exist on your Samba box"

"You'll be prompted for a name and password of an account with permissions to
join the domain; only the user account "root" will work here"

Hope this helps.

Salut,
Sinner

--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/
Linux User # 89976     Linux Machine # 38068