[Samba] The specified domain either doesn't exist or couldn't be contacte d.

Fatemi, Afsheen afatemi at oid.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 18 17:09:01 GMT 2003

Hi list,

I have installed Samba 2.2-8a on a linux box running RH 9 with LDAP backend
as the account database. I have configured the system to function as PDC.
When I try to join the domain from any Win2K machine, I get the following
error:

The following occured validating the name "mydomain". This condition may be
caused by a DNS lookup problem. The specified domain either doesn't exist or
couldn't be contacted.

When I go to 'network neighborhood' I can see the PDC, but for some reason I
can't join the domain. I have done the necessary things to join the domain
from creating a machine account using the "./smbldap-useradd -w
machine_name" to some suggestions from Microsoft Knowledge base like
removing the DNS first, trying to join the domain, and then add the DNS.

Any comments will be appreciated. Below is a copy of my smb.conf:

*********************
[root at impl-ldap samba]# more smb.conf
[global]
   workgroup = MYDOMAIN
   server string = Samba Server PDC running %v
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
;  guest account = pcguest
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
   local master = yes
   os level = 64
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
;   logon script = %U.bat
   logon drive = X:
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
   logon home = \\impl-ldap\homes\%U
   logon path =
; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
;   wins support = yes
;   wins server = w.x.y.z
;   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no

domain admin group = " @"Domain Admins" "

## LDAP Configuration
ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=impl,dc=ucla,dc=edu
ldap port = 389
ldap suffix = dc=impl,dc=ucla,dc=edu
ldap server = localhost
ldap ssl = no