[Samba] WINS problem browsing subnets

David Kruger David.Kruger at irrrb.org
Mon Aug 18 20:56:03 GMT 2003

I have the IP of the WINS address configured on a few computers at each location for testing, but these computers are constantly running, so the problem should not be anything with the client being shut down.

The following is the global configuration from the DMB/WINS

[global]
netbios name = Name
workgroup = workgroup
security = user
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
encrypt passwords = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
wins support = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
interfaces = {IP of NIC}/{Subnet}

This is from one of the LMB:

[global]
netbios name = NBName
workgroup = workgroup
security = user
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
encrypt passwords = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
wins server = {WINS IP Here}
wins support = no
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = no
name resolve order = wins lmhost host bcast
remote browse sync = {WINS/DMB IP}

I am guessing that I am missing some sort of entries in the smb.conf files that are needed.  I did check the firewalls and UDP 137, 138 and TCP 139 are open.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David Kruger

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, David Kruger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having some trouble with browsing accross subnets using WINS.
> Each subnet has a RedHat 9 box running Samba 2.2.7a which is configured
> as the LMB.  WINs support is enabled on one of the systems which is
> configured as the DMB.  I have browse list sync enabled on each of the
> LMB computers to sync with the DMB.  When browsing using Network
> neighborhood I am able to see in the list of computers all of the
> computers on the 3 subnets that have shared resources, but when trying
> to connect to any of these computers I get a network path not found.  I
> checked the DMB browse.dat file which is where all of the computer names
> are showing up, but in the wins.dat file it has only the computers
> listed that are on the same subnet as the DMB.  If I manually add the IP
> and NetBIOS name of the computers to the hosts file on the DMB then I am
> able to browse the computer.  Is there a way to get all of the browse
> list entries to be added to the WINS list automatically?

Have you set the IP address of the WINS server in the WINS address in
TCP/IP configuration on everyy Windows client?

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org