[Samba] logon script won't start anymore after update 2.2.3a -> 2.2.8.a

Carsten Springenberg springenberg at bwv-zk.de
Mon Aug 18 08:18:24 GMT 2003

Dear list,

last friday I had a frustrating experience during the update of my samba
server. I've been running samba since 1998, now there are 50 users with
win2k-boxes attached - the samba server acting as PDC. Becauce of a swap
of the old server I finally decided to update to 2.2.8a. What I did (in
general):

- installed the new server with suse 8.2 prof
- Installed the suse-rpms for 2.2.8a on the new server.
- shut down smdb/nmdb on the old server and changed ip and name
- copied smb.conf, smbpasswd, secrets.tdb to the new server
- added all the unix users
- changed ip and name on the new server to the values of the old server
- started smdb/nmdb on the new server

Everything seemed to work. I could logon and got my samba-shares - but
as I found out I got my samba-shares because they have been mapped
previously and not because of my logon script. Further experiments
brought up that the logon scripts didn't run at all at logon-time.

I tried a lot concerning "logon script" (%u instead %U, changed it to a
f. e. to "logon.bat") but without success. The logon script just sets
the time and maps the shars. The [netlogon]-share doesn't seem to be the
problem either. I read all in the archives concerning this point (and
also googled) but couldn't find something usefull.

I am not that new to samba but am at a loss anyway.

So I reversed the changes and fired up my old samba server and am
looking for ideas now.

Here my smb.conf:

[global]
	workgroup = <workgroup-name>
	netbios name = SAMBA01
	server string = SambaPDC 2.2.3a
	interfaces = <ip-address>/24
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
	username map = /etc/user.map
	log level = 1
	log file = /var/log/log.%m
	name resolve order = host wins bcast lmhosts
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
	character set = ISO8859-1
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c Machine -d /dev/null
-s /bin/false %m$
	logon script = %U.bat
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
	logon drive = U: