[Samba] User directories and groups usage

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Thu Aug 14 17:30:53 GMT 2003

Morning everyone.

I was playing around today with our PDC setup.
One thing I noticed is that when I setup users to have their 'My Documents'
directory be /home/<user> everything works well.
One thing I noticed is that the directory, subdirectories and files have
the owner of the user and the group as per assigned, and permissions as 700.

If I wanted to set it up so a specific group would get assigned the group
for everyones /home/<user> as well as specific permissions, would I need to
add something like the following to my smb.conf, under the homes section:

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    force group = daffy
    force create mode = 770
    force directory mode = 440

Which should set the group to 'daffy' for all files and directories created
as well as set the new files with 770 and new directories as 440.

That look about right?

Thanks.

Jason