[Samba] Re: Samba vs. Windows : significant difference in timestamphandling ?

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Thu Aug 14 08:03:25 GMT 2003

>>> But reiserfs doesn´t support ACLs. Does it?
>>
>> Oh yes, it does. Big way.
>>
> ??
>
> I was under the impression that if i wanted acls, i
> should use xfs, ext3 (or jsf i believe) but NOT
> reisersf.
>
> Am I wrong? Does (for example) SuSE 8.2 with
> reisersf support acls out-of-the-box?

Yes. 8.2 works out of box. Use mount options acl for
ACLs and user_xattr for EAs.

> And another, related, question:
>
> Which fs w/ acls do you (the experts here)
> recommend? I know that there are several
> alternatives, but which one has your preference, and
> why? (keeping things like maturity, stablity,
> various degrees of acl support (i don't know...?),
> ease of backup, all these sorts of things in mind)

After quite some experimenting in the beginning (ext3,
jfs, xfs) it soon became clear that reiserfs is by far
the best on all counts. I've read postings that xfs
excells with very large files, e.g. movies, but I
couldn't see any difference - reiserfs was just as
fast). It's incredibly fast in directory manipulations,
especially for very large directories with lakhs of
files. Very parsimonious too. It doesn't compress data,
not yet, but it doesn't waste space like other fs's.
A full reiserfs volume could probably not be restored
in an equally large ext3 volume. It works since about
a year impeccably.