[Samba] Re: Samba vs. Windows : significant difference intimestamp handling ?

Honza Houstek houstek-lists at utf.troja.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Aug 14 00:33:16 GMT 2003

> > > Fine. Use reiserfs and don't worry about ctime.
> >
> > Why? Does reiserfs handle ctime in a different way than other linux
> > filesystems?
>
> It's not supposed to given the same instructions from clients but it
> appears to because perhaps it elicits different kind of response from
> Office. Maybe Office behaves different when the samba server's fs is
> reiser.

Quite interesting. Can you describe any particular case of a different
behavior (samba + ext2 vs. samba + reiser)? I really wonder where the
roots of such differences are.

> In any case, reiserfs is superior to or at least as good as any other
> Linux fs.

I do not discuss quality of the filesystems. I thought that there were no
differences in the way of using access times between all linux native
filesystems (ext2/3, reiser, xfs, jfs).

-- Honza Houstek