[Samba] Question on Samba PDC: Permissions and groups

Jim C jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Wed Aug 13 22:40:00 GMT 2003

Uh..., Did this come from me?  I don't remember it.
Strange.  <shrug>Oh well, let's see...

> Jim,
>
> Thanks Jim for your input. I really do appreciate it. Sorry for the
> late reply, i've been quite busy and in and out of town recently.
>
> When you say you set the permissions for the group on the client,
> exactly how are you doing that?
> I have to put my users in one of two groups, to make a few things
> seperate to do what I need. But i'd like to find options of how I can
> put further permissions and such on my users.
>
> Also, mind if I ask how you are using the Win2K Administrator account
> that comes default? Basically, did you create a Administrator account
> on your PDC that would allow you to log into your client machines with
> the admin account and have all the administrator privileges?
>
> Thanks Jim...I appreciate your time and input.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason
>
> At 07:57 AM 8/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> All of my users belong to the group dusers.  I would simply set the
>> perms for this group on the client.

1. When one adds a machine to a domain, one is supposed to use the
userid and password of the domain administrator or of an operator set up
with such privlidges on the domain.
So when you right click on the My Computer icon and go to the properties
tab to change the name and the system prompts you for a userid and
password, it is the domain administrators userid and password (or that
of a properly configured operator) that one should be entering.  This
makes sense since we don't want random unknown people joining
willy-nilly without authorization.

2. This is also an administrative issue on the local machine for a
number of reasons.  Consequently, the local machine does not provide
access to the change button unless the user is an administrator locally.

3. Most of this you wouldn't want to change for security reasons.
However, it may be the case that you have a "Power Users" group on your
domain and want that reflected on your local machine.  Normally we might
do this by adding the group "DOMAIN/Power Users" to the group "Power
Users" one the local machine however I do not think this capability has
been added to Samba yet.  I just tried it and it did not work.