[Samba] Strange Problem

Rudolph Pereira r.pereira at isu.usyd.edu.au
Mon Aug 11 03:04:29 GMT 2003

(second time, now with log gzipped)

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 02:39:35PM +0000, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 04:11:45PM -0700, D. Rick Anderson wrote:
> > I'm having a strange problem with Samba 2.2.8 on RH 9.0.
> >
> > When I delete a folder on the server from a workstation, it gives me an
> > error saying that it can't be found and the folder remains in Explorer,
> > but if I look on the server (via SSH) the folder is gone. If I hit F5 on
> > the machine that I'm using to delete the file, the folder disappears and
> > all seems normal.
> >
> > The log file on the server shows this error:
> >
> > Aug  4 15:10:07 ACS-SMB01 smbd[19564]:   set_delete_on_close_internal:
> > failed to
> >  change delete on close flag for file Common/FOLDER_NAME
<snip>

> Can you post a debug level 10 on this if it's reproducible.

I'm having exactly the same problem, except the clients are windows xp
(sp1) machines and the servers are sparc/solaris (7 & 8).
Furthermore, this appears to be a timing-related problem, as when I turn
on level 10 debugging, I cannot reproduce the problem (I assume the high
logging is causing everything to slow down, and the client to not
attempt to access the deleted directories in time).
I've attached a level 5 debug from a server running 2.2.8a,
as it's the best I've been able to get so far,
but will keep trying to get a level 10 one.

Something else that may be of interest is that I've not been able to
reproduce this on a (completely different configuration) debian/x86
machine with samba 3.0 beta2.