[Samba] Unix UID from LDAP

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 7 09:44:05 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 17:10, Raul Umyarov wrote:
> Hello
>
> How can I create single samba users database in OpenLDAP without creating local user account?
>
> I am successful create SambaSamAccount with Samba 3.0beta3. But following "Samba HOWTO Collection" (from 3.0beta3), ldapsam is just password backend and not provided replacement of /etc/passwd.
>
> There is sambaIdmapEntry in ldap schemas in samba 3.0beta3, but
> samba don`t use it. May be it is for winbind only?

Correct - much to my disappointment, this code was removed during the
Samba 3.0 beta process.  It is now only used by winbind.

However, you have always needed to have the users in nsswitch, the usual
solution being to use nss_ldap.  (Which will give you a similar result,
in the end).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org