[Samba] NetBIOS over ipsec using samba

Scott Shackelford scott at customtransport.com
Wed Aug 6 20:59:00 GMT 2003

I do use IPsec VPN with SAMBA with many locations. This it with both
Firewall to Firewall VPN with 2 Sonicwalls, Firewall to Firewall with
Sonicwall on one side and Netopia 9100 Router connected to a cable modem on
the other. And Sonicwall firewall to Sonicwall VPN. In every scenario one
thing is need in order to get things to work properly and this is a WINS
server. Make sure every machine points to you WINS server (of course SAMBA
can act as one and works very well.) This is due to NetBIOS broadcast will
not go past any router. Since a looks like a router to NetBIOS, it will not
be able to see machines in your network neighborhood unless you and the
other machines are using the same WINS server. Once this is fixes, exchange
server and domain logins will work fine.

	-Scott Shackelford