[Samba] Samba 3.0 with partial AD integration

Adam Oliver aolive1 at umbc.edu
Tue Aug 5 18:52:00 GMT 2003

I have Samba 3.0 b3 installed with Kerberos 5.  I get my ticket fine from the Win2K server.  I'm having trouble finding out for sure some of these questions in relation to Samba 3.0.

1) Does winbind still have to be used to map UIDs and GIDs?  Most stuff lists that this is for NT networks.  Is this totally replaced by LDAP?

2) It there a guide out there for setting up LDAP with Kerberos 5 and Samba 3.0?  Chapter 11 of the How to says that the schema section is out-of-date in reference to Samba 3.

3) Can LDAP be used to allow AD users to log in without a local account?  If so how?

4) Still looking for a GUI Samba browser that will use my Kerberos ticket to log into machines in that realm.....  :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam Oliver
System Administrator
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Even in trifling matters the depths of one's heart can be seen."