[Samba] Minor Problem - Samba 2.2.7+LDAP

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Tue Aug 5 18:36:48 GMT 2003

I've got a Red Hat Enterprise "ES" Linux Server running Samba 2.2.7a and
OpenLDAP 2.0.27 as my PDC in my main office.

I have on rare occasions gotten error messages from my users that seem to be
tied to MS Office 2000 files (Word in particular) similar this:

An error occurred while connecting P: to \\stargazer\projects.
Microsoft Windows Network:  The local device name is already in use.
This connection has not been restored.

This is from a Windows 2000 Pro machine running SP2 and Word 2000 as part of
Office 2000 Professional SP1.  The drive letter "P" is mapped at logon and
is available the entire time that this error message is present.  The
message (in most cases) is presented when the user goes to save the file in
question.  99% of the time the file is correct and current and nothing is
lost.  There have been times where Word will crash after this error, but the
file is still intact.

I've got about 20 people using this server and only a handful of them ever
see this message.

I have oplocks, kernel lock and level2 oplocks disabled in the global
section of the samba.conf.

Has anyone else seen this before?

--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE