[Samba] users and smbpasswd

Thomas Dewar tdr at infobi.com
Tue Aug 5 14:04:13 GMT 2003

James Kosin wrote:

>Dear Thomas Dewar,
>
>Only root can use the '-U' parameter.  Try changing it without the '-U'
>option and it should work.
>
>James Kosin

No luck il still gives me the same stuff :

test at ldap:/etc/samba$ smbpasswd -r ldap
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine ldap rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The
specified password is invalid.
Failed to change password for test

Something that I have also noticed is that in my smb.conf : when I put
unix password sync = no in the following password section :
    ;password sync
    passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd.pl -o %u
    passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
    unix password sync = no
It seems to work just fine, but when I put unix password sync = yes, I
encounter the RAP86 problem. According to me, my password program
(smbldap-passwd.pl from idealx) can't manage to write both samba and
unix passwords at the same time.

still in the need of help, but nevertheless thanking James Kosin for his
advice

thomas