[Samba] users and smbpasswd

Thomas Dewar tdr at infobi.com
Tue Aug 5 10:35:52 GMT 2003

Thomas Dewar wrote:

>> Hi all.
>>
>> I am trying to let users change their passwords from the swap
>> webpage. But in the password interface when a user wants to change
>> his password I get the following error :
>> "machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session setup.  Error was : Not
>> listening for
>> calling name."
>>
>> OS: Debian 3.0
>> Samba v: 2.2.3
>>
>> I have no problems changing the smb passwords as root, but when I
>> login as a
>> regular user I get the same error.
>>
>> Any idea?
>> Thomas
>>

> Sorry about all the fuss... my mistake so ill mend it...
> I had just forgotten to put localhost in my host allows section...
> silly me :-[
> hosts allow = 127.0.0.1
>
> thanx anyway

Hello again, after having solved the previous message i am now
encountering this new one :
When i want to change a user password being connected as this user i get
the following error :
    test at ldap:~$ smbpasswd -r ldap -U test
    Old SMB password:
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    machine ldap rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The
specified password is         invalid.
    Failed to change password for test

But when I am root i am allowed to change the password :
    ldap:~#  smbpasswd  -U test
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    Password changed for user test.

Any piece of advice??? (unless i find out myself... ;-) )

thanx

Thomas