[Samba] Duplex printer settings

Terri Eads eads at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Aug 4 16:43:27 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have a samba 2.2.6 print server running on Solaris 2.7.
It has been working wonderfully for a long time. Now, I'm
setting up the server to automatically download the printer
drivers to the client PC. This also works great, except for
the duplex option on my duplex printers. The correct options
appear in  "device settings" (such as "flip on long edge"),
but do not appear when a user goes to advanced properties
in the print dialog from Microsoft Word (I have not tested
MX excel, etc) since I don't know how to use them. :-)

I followed the docs, doing the following:

1) uploaded the drivers to the server via MS Windows 2000
   as a "printer admin". This worked great, the drivers were
   installed in the correct place on the server.

2) Made my first connection as the same printer admin, setting
   up the defaults for the printer, including saying the duplex
   option is installed in device settings.

3) further client connects after surfing to the samba printer in
   Network places, right clicking on the printer, choosing connect,
   work great except for the lack of duplexing option when printing,
   although it shows up for clients in device settings as well.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

--
Terri Eads		UNIX Systems Administrator
eads at ucar.edu		Research Applications Program