[Samba] smbpasswd and LDAP

Jim C jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Sat Aug 2 23:41:26 GMT 2003

I believe that in samba 2.2.x it is set in /etc/ldap.conf on the server
box.

Mine reads like this
# may incur a small performance impact.
nss_base_passwd         dc=microverse,dc=net?sub
#nss_base_passwd         ou=People,dc=microverse,dc=net?one
nss_base_shadow         ou=People,dc=microverse,dc=net?one
nss_base_group          ou=Group,dc=microverse,dc=net?one
nss_base_hosts          ou=Hosts,dc=microverse,dc=com?one

The nss_base_passwd line is different so that it can find the machine
accounts which don't live in the People ou.

In Samba 3.0 it will be set more explicitly.