[Samba] Clients dynamically allocate WINS server

Johnny Shih awei29 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 17:32:22 GMT 2003

Hello guys,

I have been running a server (running RH 7.3) with WINS support for
quite some time and it works well.  I am seeing that once Windows
clients (Windows XP) are connected to the server, the wins.dat in the
server gets updated where the clients IP etc being added.   Even the
server's IP has been changed (for example, the machine is moved and
connected to a different network with a different WINS server), the
clients still automatically find and talk to that WINS server and have
themselves registered.

However, the linux clients do not seem to be so smart(?), my finding is
that "wins server" has to be specified so the client's samba will then
talk to the WINS server and therefore get registered.  This becomes very
inconvenient if the linux machnes (e.g. laptops) are used/connected to
different networks where WINS servers' IPs are different or even
unknown.  I am wondering, how does Windows (act as a WINS client) do
that?  Can linux running Samba dynamically find WINS server without
having to specify it in "wins server"?

Thanks
Any help is much appreciated.

Johnny