[Samba] problem joining a Win XP client to a domain managed by a 2.2.7 samba server

Alex Sharaz A.Sharaz at hull.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 13:12:52 GMT 2003

Hi all,

got what i am sure is a simple problem

I've been trying to set up a samba server on a RH 7.2 box and that seems to
be fine as I've managed to work though the how to .

My problem is with joining a windoze XP client to the domain i have created.

irrespective of whether I try a manual creation of a machine trust account
or an "on the fly" creation method when I try and add a client I  get the
message " The user could not be added because the following error occurred
' the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
failed'"

I;ve tried deleting secrets.tdb and smbpasswd, the machine entry in
/etc/passwd , stopping the smb processes, creating my userid again
and restarting the daemons but although and entry appears in /etc/passwd
and smbppasswd I still get the error message.

Also

what defines an smb user as an administrative account? is it the admin
user=<userid> entry in smb.conf?

TIA
Alex

Sent using Mulberry 3.01a