[Samba] Is it posible to force Windows 2000 to send print job name?

Florian Stahl fstahl at checkerei.de
Wed Apr 30 15:42:14 GMT 2003

Hi Martin,

maybe this might help:

- I use this printer defintion originally to write to pdf files, but
  it can easily be used to test what parameters W2K passes onto the samba
printjob.

- I experienced that parameters such as filename / document name are passed
on differently from
  Microsoft Office Apps than for example from Acrobat Reader.

file: /etc/smb.conf

# Set up PDF-creation service
# & sends script to background, freeing resources on Win machine
# script needs to care about deleting print file by itself
[pdf]
   path =/var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   print command = /var/samba/scripts/printpdf.sh %s %p %J %m %a %I &

file: /var/samba/scripts/printpdf.sh

#!/bin/sh
# write Samba ENV vars into logfile
#
DATE=`date +%b%d-%H%M%S`
echo bla "$DATE $1 - $2 - $3 - $4 - $5 - $6 " >> /tmp/print.log

Kind Regardes

Florian Stahl
fstahl at xantury.com