[Samba] Set a login script but no profile?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Apr 30 00:16:18 GMT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Dan Gapinski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am so close!!! So far I have a Samba PDC that machines and users can log
> into, but here's the deal: I would like to find out how to allow them to log
> on and receive their login script, but not use a roving profile.
>
> Here are my relevant settings as they are set right now:
> ; logon drive = x:

logon drive = x:

> ; logon home = "\\Gluon\Gluon G"

logon home =

> ; logon path = \\Jupiter\Profile\%U

logon path =

>  encrypt passwords = yes
>  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>  min password length = 3
>  domain admin group = @admin
>  domain group map = /etc/samba/groups.mapping

domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
os level = 35
logon script = logon.bat

Note: locate the batch file (must be created in MS Windows/DOC, ie: CR/LF
format) in the root of your [NETLOGON] share, ie:
	/etc/samba/netlogon/logon.bat

> and later:
> [netlogon]
>  comment = Network Logon Service
>  path = /etc/samba/netlogon
>  browseable = no
>  writeable = yes
>  write list = @admin
> [public]
>  comment = Secure File Area
>  path = /usr/share/SCP-File-Area
>  guest ok = yes
>  writeable = yes
>  printable = no
>  write list = @users
>
> I do not have a [Profiles] section.
>
> So when I log on with my XP client, I see a 'cannot load profile' and
> "Detail: the network name cannot be found". Is this an issue with the client
> wanting a roving profile? If that's the case, I can make it so that XP
> doesn't user roving profiles ever (I think by using gpedit.msc) - let me
> know if I am answering my own questions!

See changes above. That should stop all attempts at roaming profiles. You
do need the logon drive for your logon scripts to execute cleanly.

PS: You can make the last line in your logon.bat:
	net use x: /d

That will make sure that there is no left over X: drive.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org