[Samba] Set a login script but no profile?

Dan Gapinski DanGapinski at qsi-r2.com
Tue Apr 29 23:30:25 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am so close!!! So far I have a Samba PDC that machines and users can log
into, but here's the deal: I would like to find out how to allow them to log
on and receive their login script, but not use a roving profile.

Here are my relevant settings as they are set right now:
; logon drive = x:
; logon home = "\\Gluon\Gluon G"
; logon path = \\Jupiter\Profile\%U
 encrypt passwords = yes
 smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
 min password length = 3
 domain admin group = @admin
 domain group map = /etc/samba/groups.mapping

and later:
[netlogon]
 comment = Network Logon Service
 path = /etc/samba/netlogon
 browseable = no
 writeable = yes
 write list = @admin
[public]
 comment = Secure File Area
 path = /usr/share/SCP-File-Area
 guest ok = yes
 writeable = yes
 printable = no
 write list = @users

I do not have a [Profiles] section.

So when I log on with my XP client, I see a 'cannot load profile' and
"Detail: the network name cannot be found". Is this an issue with the client
wanting a roving profile? If that's the case, I can make it so that XP
doesn't user roving profiles ever (I think by using gpedit.msc) - let me
know if I am answering my own questions!

Many thanks,
Dan