[Samba] windows xp suddenly unable to find pdc (samba-2.2.7a)

Jeanne Schock sambamail2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 18:10:00 GMT 2003

All,

I am a brand new admin for a network comprised of
FreeBSD 4.8 samba/dhcp/dns servers with identical
kernels and XP/2002/98 machines. Our primary
samba/dhcp server had a hardware failure. I had no
difficulty using backup config files to enable samba
and dhcp on our existing DNS server, because the
software had already been installed for testing
purposes. So, there is now one samba/dns/dhcp server
for the entire network. All of our workstations were
switched over to the new pdc. All was fine for a few
days, and I was hoping to begin working on rebuilding
the network in a permanant fashion, until one XP
machine produced the following error:

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because
the domain controller is down or otherwise
unavailable.

The XP machines gets an ip, has no problem with dns
and sees the samba server as winserver.

smb.conf has:

; WINS settings
        wins support = yes
        name resolve order = wins bcast host lmhosts
        max ttl = 360
        max wins ttl = 360
        min wins ttl = 180

I have the log level up to 3, and I see the machine
(develope3) in the log.nbmd:

wins_process_name_refresh_request: Name refresh for
name DEVELOPER3<00> IP 192.168.1.146

Here are some snippets from log.smbd from an attempt
to login:

  netbios connect: name1=FREEBSD
name2=DEVELOPER3
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 2]
smbd/reply.c:reply_special(111)
  netbios connect: local=freebsd remote=developer3
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 3]
smbd/process.c:process_smb(878)
  Transaction 1 of length 137
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 3]
smbd/process.c:switch_message(685)
  Domain=[DEVELOPER3]  NativeOS=[Windows 2002 2600]
NativeLanMan=[Windows 2002 5.1]
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 3]
smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(868)
  sesssetupX:name=[Administrator]
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 1]
smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(545)
  netbios connect: name1=FREEBSD
name2=DEVELOPER3
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 2]
smbd/reply.c:reply_special(111)
  netbios connect: local=freebsd remote=developer3
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 3]
smbd/process.c:process_smb(878)
  Transaction 1 of length 137
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 3]
smbd/process.c:switch_message(685)
  Domain=[DEVELOPER3]  NativeOS=[Windows 2002 2600]
NativeLanMan=[Windows 2002 5.1]
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 3]
smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(868)
  sesssetupX:name=[Administrator]
[2003/04/29 13:46:09, 1]
smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(545)
  netbios connect: name1=FREEBSD
name2=DEVELOPER3
[2003/04/29 13:46:44, 2]
smbd/reply.c:reply_special(111)
  netbios connect: local=freebsd remote=developer3
[2003/04/29 13:46:44, 3]
smbd/process.c:process_smb(878)
  Transaction 1 of length 137
[2003/04/29 13:46:44, 3]
smbd/process.c:switch_message(685)
  developer3 (192.168.1.142) connect to service IPC$
as user nobody (uid=65534, gid=65534) (pid 65777)
[2003/04/29 13:46:44, 3]
smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(329)
  setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
[2003/04/29 13:46:44, 3]
smbd/reply.c:reply_tcon_and_X(395)
  developer3 (192.168.1.142) closed connection to
service IPC$
[2003/04/29 13:46:55, 3]
smbd/connection.c:yield_connection(48)
  Yielding connection to IPC$
[2003/04/29 13:46:55, 3]
smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(329) developer3
(192.168.1.142) connect to service IPC$ as user nobody
(uid=65534, gid=65534) (pid 65777)
[2003/04/29 13:46:44, 3]
smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(329)
  setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
[2003/04/29 13:46:44, 3]
smbd/reply.c:reply_tcon_and_X(395)
  developer3 (192.168.1.142) closed connection to
service IPC$
[2003/04/29 13:46:55, 3]
smbd/connection.c:yield_connection(48)
  Yielding connection to IPC$
[2003/04/29 13:46:55, 3]
smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(329)

I am really new to samba, cannot make much from the
smbd log, and am not sure where to go from here. What
stumps me is how only one XP machine, which was
working just fine, suddently can't find the pdc. My
concern is that this might lead to other machines
loosing their ability to reach the domain as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JS