[Samba] Viewing Linux machine from windows machine

rmillisl at webserv.isa-geek.net rmillisl at webserv.isa-geek.net
Mon Apr 28 18:34:45 GMT 2003

>   I can access the windows shares from the linux machine, and I can see
> the
> Linux machine from windows network neighbor hood.  When I try to access
> the  linux machine , I am asked to provide a password for //linux1/IPC$.
>  I have  tried all passwords with no success.  The only share on the
> Linux machine is  the download folder, which shows when checking Samba
> from the linux machine.

I assume this is a windows 9x or ME machine, is that correct?

Does the username you log on to Windows with match the username of the
valid Linux account? Windows 9x/ME assume the windows login username and
then ask for the password (NT/2K/XP prompt for both a username and
password). Often users are not prompted by windows for their password at
startup on these operating systems as its been saved when they first
installed windows.

I have found a fix for this is to rename the c:\windows\Username.pwl
files, and then reboot. When you are prompted on reboot, supply a username
and password that match those on the samba server.

Are you trying to login to the samba server with a valid Linux user ID and
password?

Do you have a username and password entry in smbpasswd (assuming thats
what you are using)?

What are your security settings in smb.conf? Are you sing encrypted password?