[Samba] unix-filenames do not translate

paul.r.schenk at accenture.com paul.r.schenk at accenture.com
Fri Apr 25 11:17:11 GMT 2003

Hi Antonio,

Your problem is that filenames on Windows cannot contains certain
characters. * is one of the characters you cannot have in a name. Thus
Samba must translate these names.

All the best,
Paul

|---------+--------------------------------------------------------->
|         |   Antonio Nikolic <antonio.nikolic at ibk-consult-gmbh.de> |
|         |   Sent by:                                              |
|         |   samba-bounces+paul.r.schenk=accenture.com at lists.samba.|
|         |   org                                                   |
|         |                                                         |
|         |                                                         |
|         |   25/04/2003 05:43 AM                                   |
|         |   Please respond to Antonio Nikolic                     |
|         |                                                         |
|---------+--------------------------------------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                           |
  |        To:      samba at lists.samba.org                                                     |
  |        cc:                                                                                |
  |        Subject: [Samba] unix-filenames do not translate                                   |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello list,

I have problems displaying certain UNIX-files in samba.
For example if I have a file named like this:
    ABNAHMELEHRE±±±±±±,PP272140019±±±,*,±±,±,Z,±000,IBK,Y414019253751.model
  or
    BAUTEIL           ,A21133321´2202,*,  , ,Z,
000,IBK,F633302719552.model
samba shows dos-like names as follow:
    Abnah~2s.mod
  and
    Baute~1m.mod

Is there any way in telling samba to display the file's real names and
not to do this dos-8.3-translation?

Please post your awnswer as CC: to my original emailadress, because I
am temporarily off the list. Thanx in advance.

greetings

Antonio Nikolic

eMail:     antonio.nikolic at ibk-consult-gmbh.de