[Samba] WINS

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Apr 25 04:25:18 GMT 2003

Nazrul,

Firstly, we are working on a new tool to implement static WINS addresses
for samba-3. This tool may or may not make it into 3.0.0.

Secondly, given what you describe below you do NOT need static WINS
addresses.

Step 1. Make sure that samba is configured as a WINS server.

	In smb.conf [globals]
		wins support = yes

Step 2. Make sure all your MS Windows client get the WINS server address
_AND_ are set to NetBIOS node type 8. Example DHCP server config file:

/etc/dhcpd.conf:
----------------
option ntp-servers 192.168.1.1;
allow unknown-clients;
default-lease-time 86400;
max-lease-time 172800;
option domain-name "world.org";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option netbios-dd-server 192.168.1.1;
option netbios-node-type 8;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.128 192.168.1.254;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        allow unknown-clients;
        }

Step 3. Read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
	http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

	See chapters: 9 and 23.

Hope this helps.

- John T.