[Samba] ACLs and Windows 2000 look alike (inheritance of permissions)

Tom Dickson tdickson at inostor.com
Thu Apr 24 17:41:39 GMT 2003

I've gotten samba working with ACLs over an XFS filesystem. Everything works
pretty well with knowledge of the workarounds (cannot remove group everyone,
etc.)

The only major problem I have is that ACLs don't inherit correctly. The
default in Windows 2000 is to have a sub folder inherit the permissions of
the folder it is in on creation. By default, the Samba share's folders don't
do this. Is there any way to make samba by default copy all the ACLs when A
folder is created? It does it if you manually check the "Allow inheritable
permissions from parent to propagate to this object" box on the Security
page of properties.

If there is no way to do this in Samba (I'm using 2.2.5), can it be done
with cacls.exe or some other item?

Thank you,

Tom