[Samba] Problems with Offline Caching

Wiktor Wodecki wiktor.wodecki at net-m.de
Thu Apr 24 08:47:19 GMT 2003

Hello List,

I've set up an 2.2.8a server for file sharing in our company. It auth's
against an ldap server and has the usual stuff enabled[1]. I also use ACL
support on the XFS filesystem for fine access control.
I played around with the csc policy option for a while now, but somehow
I cannot find the right setting. The smb.conf(5) manpages states that
the settings are similar to those under windows, however, I could only
find this[2] MS-KB article, and it doesn't say much. My problem ist, that
I tried all of the four available settings and none of them works as the
old W2K fileserver did. Whenever I mark a directory for offline use, I cannot
access the files anymore. I see them in the explorer, but I cannot access
them from it. OTOH if I synchronize the folder my w2k[3] client tells me
that all files I have cached locally are not present on the fileserver.
I can copy them over, but that's not how it is supposed to be.
I googled about it for the last three days, but I cannot find any
information about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

1:    ./configure  --with-ldapsam --with-pam --prefix=/usr \
     --sysconfdir=/etc/samba/ --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/ \
     --enable-cups --with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba --with-ssl \
     --with-syslog --with-libsmbclient --with-quotas --with-acl-support \
     --with-automount --with-smbmount
     The samba server is configured as a PDC, however the clients still
     connect to the old W2K PDC. We are in the migration phase.
2: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214738
3: latest patches & service packs applied

--
Regards,

Wiktor Wodecki
net mobile AG