[Samba] Win XP 'Network path was not found' Error when connecting to Samba share

Lamier Bennett lamierbennett at lycos.com
Wed Apr 23 15:36:30 GMT 2003

I am running a network with 2 XP boxes and 1 RH8.0 box running Samba 2.2.8a (bin pkg).  I have also tried Samba 2.2.5 (the included distro ver.) and Samba 3 (not in depth though).

I have added my WinXP username/passwd to smbpasswd and to the Linux User list.  I've tried encrypt passwords and have even tried playing with the 'gpedit.msc' in Win XP to turn off encryption to 3rd party SMB servers.

I also looked through other newsgroup listings on this problem and tried http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows+xp+network+path+was+not+found+group:linux.samba.*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=linux.samba.*&selm=0fmc3us0pv70mtuclij6p848kh1jmklq50%404ax.com&rnum=3

I ran a log file at log level 2 and it shows literally nothing other than the start-up information.  It doesn't show a usern/passwd challenge from either of the two XP boxes trying to connect to the share.

>From the Windows view, I can see the Samba Share in the WORKGROUP (also named workgroup) but get the network error when I try to drill down it.  The network error is also given when I try to manually put in the UNC or IP of the Samba share.

fyi: The RH8.0 linux box is on the network and is pingable from the XP boxes.  It also uses my DSL Router just fine (I'm typing this e-mail from that server in fact).

I'm under the impression it's got to be a WinXP setting I'm missing or a IPTABLES settings that's messed up (doubtfull on that one).

smb.conf
--------------------------
[global]
netbios name = SambaServe
workgroup = WORKGROUP
wins support = yes
security = user
character set = ISO8859-15
client code page = 850
encrypt passwords = no
# gpedit.msc is set to send non-encrypted password to 3rd
# party SMB servers
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65
log file = /etc/samba/troubleshoot.log
log level = 2

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
path = /home
read only = no
create mask = 0640
directory mask = 0750
browseable = no

[test]
comment = Testing only
path = /pub
create mask = 0700
read only = no
guest only = yes

Thank you for your time, and any help is greatly appreciated.

-Jason