[Samba] help needed - Officejet 7110 printing problem under RH7.2

Augis ejs at delfi.lt
Tue Apr 22 21:37:43 GMT 2003

Hi All,

[Tue, 22 Apr 2003], <Slawomir Orlowski> :
> I have RH 7.2 and was trying to make HP Officejet 7110 work with it.
> I have upgraded ghostscipt to 7.0.6 installed hpijs1.3.1 and foomatic-2.0.
> So in printconf-gui I was able to chose HP OfficeJet 7110 from the printers
> list and install hpijs driver.

That's good. What printing system do you use? Lpr[NG]? Some time ago i was
at a loss. The whole printing system was not working. Later i find out,
that i was running CUPS, while binaries (lpq, lpr, lprm, cancel, etc)
were from lprNG ;) It was on RH 8.0 box, with automagic system switching.
Seems it didn't worked while installing CUPS from official RPMs.

> After sending page to print, printer is displaying message (printing) after
> printing page and diode On is blinking.
> Setting in printconf-gui under tab Driver Options "Send EOF" (does not
> change a thing) I have tried "Send FF" too, this will after printing throw
> out one or two empty paper sheets. But printer display will still show
> printing until I press Cancel on the printer.

That's bad. Is means there are some problems with printer drivers. Errr...
printer filters. Maybe you can configure the printer? Maybe it hopes to
get info in GDI mode, while filter is supplying PCL?

> but my main problem is that I would like to set up this printer as network
> printer connected to this RH7.2. So I have
> configured samba 2.2.3.a:
> "
> [hp7110]
>  comment = HP 7110 printer
>  path = /var/spool/samba
>  guest ok = Yes
>  print ok = Yes
>  printable = Yes

 Don't do this. Hope you have [Printers] section?
Here is an example using CUPS printing system. CUPS adds entry to
/etc/printcap ant it's sufficient for Samba to load printer shares,
cloning [Printers] share.

Try setting Samba like this:

[global]
   show add printer wizard = yes
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = cups
# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = Printer %S on %h
   printer admin = root, ejs
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   printable = yes

[print$]
   comment = Printer drivers
   path = /etc/samba/printers
   browseable = no
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no
   write list = root, ejs

> But unfortunately when I chose connection method (Through the network later
> Search the network for devices ...) during HP driver instalation on my Win98
> client, I'm getting message unable to locate hp officejet 7100 series.

Well, select printer on Samba server and connect it. Windows should ask
for drivers.

You can put win drivers to the server beforehead. Right click in
Samba's "Printers" share, "Add driver...". It's not easy with some
printers, like Epson Stylus Color 1520.
After this you must assign the driver to the printer. It's easy.

> So he is not able to find this printer on network, though in Windows
> explorer I see this printer under the name of server it is connected to.

You see only share. Windows is searching for drivers during printer
instalation and can't find them.

> I have one more server with Samba and RH and I have older HP laser printer
> connected to it,
> and I'm able to print from my Win clients though Samba without any problem.

Check your's smb.conf. Twice.

--
 ejs, all-in-one at Computer Aided Architectural Design Laboratory
 Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Lithuania