[Samba] Samba unable to validate usernames; winbind works

Tom Dickson tdickson at inostor.com
Mon Apr 21 16:25:39 GMT 2003

Running the command:

wbinfo -aDOMAINNAME+Administrator%password

works, in fact, all of the wbinfo commands report data as they should.

However, when I try to connect to a share on the SMB server, I get the
following error message in the logs:

[2003/04/21 08:28:59, 0]
smbd/password.c:connect_to_domain_password_server(1328)
  connect_to_domain_password_server: machine DWP rejected the tconX on the
IPC$ share. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

I've tried rejoining the domain, but that didn't help. (The smbpassword -j
command returns "Joined domain").

The wbinfo -A command has been run, and the secrets file is correct. Is
there something I'm missing on the domain controller side of things? It's a
Windows 2000 domain controller.

Thanks,

-Tom