[Samba] user profile migration PDCs

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Apr 20 23:01:10 GMT 2003

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 t_karlsen at gmx.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> got samba installation working all fine with shares etc.
>
> Now we have to migrate users from another domain.
>
> My question: How to migrate users from another PDC (also samba) to my new
> samba-PDC ?
> I did all common steps like having all the accounts on my Linux, smbpasswd &
> everything,
> Users can login to the domain from a given client, but they cannot operate
> in a normal manner (like everything on the Win2k boxes is blocked).
>
> Second question: Some users are administered local on Win2k Boxes.
> I copied their profiles to the PDC (Using control panel function).
> But also, users - after logon - cannot work properly on client stations.
>
> What is the trick to do to make these profiles work ??

Please refer to the new Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf available from the
following location:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

In particular suggest you check chapter 18.1.2

If you are using samba-3 alpha you can use the profiles tool to change the
SID in the NTUser.DAT file to the SID for your new Samba server. This will
be ncessary if your Windows clients are to be able to use the profiles.

> Help and suggestions more than welcome!

Let me know how you go.

- John T.
--