[Samba] Samba permission settings ... Server 777 ... wks 755!?

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 19:44:03 GMT 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 01:52:43PM -0500, Edin wrote:
> I have one Samba share on my server (RH9). The permission on the shared
> folders/files are set to 777. The owner of the files/folders is let's say X.
> When I mount the share on my workstation (Mandrake 9.1) using the username,
> uid and gid option (of user X) the owner of the files that I see at the mount
> point is still X, but the permissions are now 755. Why aren't the
> permission's 777? Is this a setting on the Samba server?

I think you need to specify the file and directory permissions to use on
the client. It can't actually override the permissions on the server (if
you don't have write access you won't be able to write), but it also
can't just use them directly (you have to tell the client you have write
access). I think the relevant options would be "-f 0777" and "-d 0777",
but you should verify that with the man pages on smbmount and smbmnt, as
well as the kernel documentation on smbfs.

--
Michael Heironimus