[Samba] Samba permission settings ... Server 777 ... wks 755!?

Edin jsamba at edinsworld.com
Fri Apr 18 18:52:43 GMT 2003

I have one Samba share on my server (RH9). The permission on the shared
folders/files are set to 777. The owner of the files/folders is let's say X.
When I mount the share on my workstation (Mandrake 9.1) using the username,
uid and gid option (of user X) the owner of the files that I see at the mount
point is still X, but the permissions are now 755. Why aren't the
permission's 777? Is this a setting on the Samba server?
Another issue related to that:
I believe this issue also prevents me from synchronizing offline files with my
Windows XP laptop. I map the share using the username X and I am able to
manually copy and edit files on the server, but I am unable to automatically
synchronize offline files. I believe that for the actual synchronization,
WinXP uses the system account and that account would not have write
privileges based on the 755 permissions.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

Thank you for your help.

Edin