[Samba] profiles for win98 + xp in same dir under home dir?

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Fri Apr 18 19:31:51 GMT 2003

On 18 Apr 03, at 21:32, Coreix Systems - Unix - Linux wrote:

> Are you using "roaming profiles"..?

Yes normally, except on one xp pro machine. Why does running
roaming profiles help or worsen the impact of having one's profiles
under the homedir?

> I would include the following options in your smb.conf
>
>   keep alive = 160
>   dead time = 240
>
> Set the "number_of_seconds" to your need's, Do some reading about
> them in you smbd man_pages...

Thanks. I have put that in and will see what happens. But I was
under the impression that the former smbd were never zombies
.... they somewhow kept "working" for days and for users that
had long since logged off those clients, as if win xp wasn't
clsoing all it's connections to the home drive when a user logs
out of a client and even apparently maintaining that connection
past the time new users log in to that client.

> Secondly, What you could do is to simply write a small Perl or even
> bash_script to run from cron every 5min's or so to look at processes
> and check the smbd ones status and if "zombie" then kill -9
> "that_PID". You could also use substrates output to make your
> process activity checking even better...

I guess I mislead you with my language in the initial post. I used
the word "stale" connections... well I used that as in "should have
been closed a long time ago", but asfar as ps goes they were
still alive and kicking ;-(

--
Urs Rau