[Samba] unix password sync

Dennis Knies dknies at studenten.net
Fri Apr 18 14:43:57 GMT 2003

Hi,

I built a Fileserver (OS = FreeBSd 4.7) using Samba 2.2.6pre2. All the
clients are using Win2K or Win NT4.

Samba is the PDC, using many shares, roaming profiles, netlogon etc. It
works great.

At this moment I want samba to support "unix password sync". That's why I
added these lines to smb.conf:

# Sync the SMB and UNIX password
    unix password sync = true
    smb passwd file = /usr/local/private/smbpasswd
    passwd chat = *\n*ew\spassword* %n\n *ew\spassword*
%n\n*updating\sthe\sdata
    passwd chat debug = no
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

In this situation should the unix and samba password change when the user
changes the password in Windows.
The Unix password will be changed, but the samba password won't. After the
unix password is changed I have to wait a long time till an error message
appears in windows, saying: Windows cannot change the password because the
WORKGROUP is unavailable.

An error message is visible on the server: pid 445 (smbd), uid 1000: exited
on signal 6
But no errors are visible in the server logfiles.

When I change "unix password sync" in smb.conf to false. It isn't possible
to change the unix-password, but it is possible to change the samba
password.

Does anyone know a appropriate solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Dennis