[Samba] Samba 2.2.8a Large File Support Issues

Bob McLaren BobMcLaren at fssi-ca.com
Thu Apr 17 18:29:15 GMT 2003

I know this issue has been beat to death on the newsgroups, but I have
not yet found an answer.
I will make an attempt to include all the necessary info.

Description of Problem:
    I am having problems trying to access large files (>2GB) on mounted
smbfs volumes.
    To clarify, I am attempting to view large files that exist on an NT
server, from my Linux box, and getting erroneous results.

Related Info:
    When attempting to list files on the smbfs volumne from my Linux
box, the file sizes come out as really strange numbers.
    For example, I have a file called 'vision_jan.zip' which I know to
be roughtly 12Gig.  But when I try to list the file my Linux box, it
looks like this.
# ls vision_jan.zip -l
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     18446744073319179800 Jan 27 16:22
vision_jan.zip
# ls vision_jan.zip -lh
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          16E Jan 27 16:22 vision_jan.zip

System Info:
Linux 2.4.9-e.12smp kernel
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 2.1 (Built based on RedHat 7.2
specs)
Samba Built from source files version 2.2.8a
Samba configure script shows..
     checking for LFS support... yes
     checking checking if large file support can be enabled... yes

Samba Makefile shows "CPPFLAGS=-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE"

My local file system does appear to support large files.  I created a
2.6Gig file and viewed it using ls just fine.

The volume is mounted using the following command line:
mount -t smbfs -o username=********,password=********
//powervault/output_data /mnt/powervault/output_data

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

--
Bob McLaren