[Samba] repost

Stephen Slaton slatons at co.sweet.wy.us
Thu Apr 17 16:54:29 GMT 2003

Problem:
I am attempting to set my Samba server to be a PDC.  Everytime I try to
connect my XP Pro laptop (used for testing purposes) to the domain, I
receiver the following error:
The following error occurred attempting to join domain "mis":
Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using
more than one user name, are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous
connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

I have followed the PDC-Howto and spent FOUR full days now checking and
rechecking my sbm.conf.  I have done the "signorseal" registry hack.  I have
tried both manual and auto creation for machine and user.  I have added root
to smbpasswd using the directions in the PDC-Howto.  I have made sure that
the laptop is NOT attaching any (peer to peer) drives on boot.

I have searched google for an answer, but have found no definitive answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Background:
I successfully moved from Novell to Samba approximately 3 1/2 years ago.  The

Recently the boss hired Mr. Master Degree, MCSE and is in the process of
listening to his propaganda about how we should spend several thousands of
the taxpayers dollars to move to a pure Microsoft environment.  The main
argument that is being presented is that the Samba server is not a PDC.

I am attempting to avoid that massive waste of my money.  :)

Network and Environment:

Server(s) on this network:
Samba 2.2.8a running on Debian 3.0 (woody)
Also acts as DHCP-3 server
Currently doing file and print services (peer to peer)

NT 4.0
Acting as a BDC for another domain (PDC is on another network)

Clients:
Running most versions of Microsoft Windows 95 - XP (95, 98, 98se, NT 4.0,
2000Pro, XP Pro).  Most machines are in the process of "upgrading" to XP

Samba Setup:
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = MIS
        netbios name = S1
        server string = Samba Server %v
        interfaces = 216.169.21.30/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        null passwords = Yes
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba.%m