[Samba] AppleTalk(netatalk)+Samba

Philip Edelbrock phil at netroedge.com
Thu Apr 17 16:42:01 GMT 2003

You might want to check out the Baltra patches for Netatalk which
specificly allow Macs to retain resource fork and other meta information
when (OS-X) Macs connect via SMB, NFS, FTP, direct mount, etc. instead
of AFP.

http://www.baltra.org/

Essentially the patch changes how Netatalk stores files on the server to
use the method Apple uses instead of Netatalk's arbitrary scheme.  It
makes portability and access of the files more flexible as well as not
forcing you (the admin) to depend upon Netatalk as the sole means of
accessing them.  This is good since OS-X Macs seem to cope better
talking with Samba 3.0 than to Netatalk.  To OS-9 clients, there is no
perceived difference when they connect to the file server in the usual
AFP method.

I hope this helps!

Phil