[Samba] Slow connection

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Wed Apr 16 08:08:21 GMT 2003

>Here we go again. Please don't feel attacked, but this seems the only
>answer I find about this. On the mailing list of SuSE I asked the same
>question (about the slow connection) and this was the same reply. After
>this I did more testing (see about the transferring of the
>file from the
>server-side). Do you have an explanation for that if the network link
>was misconfigured ?
>But I'll upgrade my Samba, and do some more testing.
>
>I did 'mii-tool -v', result :
>
>eth0: negotiated 100baseT4 flow-control, link ok
>   product info: vendor 1f:ff:df, model 63 rev 15
>   basic mode:   loopback, isolate, collision test,
>autonegotiation enabled
>   basic status: autonegotiation complete, remote fault, link ok
>   capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
>   advertising:  100baseT4 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD
>10baseT-HD flow-control
>   link partner: 100baseT4 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD
>10baseT-HD flow-control

I'm curious as to what sort of switch/hub you have this connected to.

Most of the servers I administer are connected to 100 meg switches (mostly
Cisco) and mii-tool always returns 100baseTX-FD, including those which
I've forced with parameters in modules.conf.

Perhaps try forcing 100baseTX-FD with mii-tool and see if that makes any
difference.  In the output above it mentions that it's set to
autonegotiation,
as I said earlier, this doesn't always mean it picks the best connection.

I've had the same problem on an NT server with an Intel card before, that's
why
I doubt it's the fault of Samba, other than some obscure bug.  What happens
if
you turn debug level up to 5 and try the same copy, do you get different
entries
in your log as opposed to the faster copy?

That's about all I can suggest.