[Samba] Re: Samba access denied or only shows top level directories

Tom Schaefer tom at umsl.edu
Tue Apr 15 13:31:25 GMT 2003

Cool, somebody else besides me putting some of the more exotic features of samba to use, like the include = /opt/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L and the force user.  I do those same things myself, I use force user extensively, and sometimes I feel all alone in the world.

Anyway, to your problem though, my first thought was its a permissions problem and that error message "file does not exist" isn't a very accurate error message.  In my experience, explanations given in Windows error messages may or may not bear any resemblence to the real cause of the problem.

Are you sure smb.conf.webdev is ever being included?  In this line:
include = /opt/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L
the %L means the netbios name of the server and the only netbios names I see you using are peewing, accesslist, and mydev.  (webdev is curiously absent)

I see you aren't forcing the group, the group is going to end up being wes64's default group (not wduser's).  Maybe its a group permissions problem?

Are the clients that do work Win95 as well?  Do maybe these directories he can't get into have really long names or weird characters in the names?

So, there you go, just a few things to think about.

Tom Schaefer