[Samba] Network share response times

Christopher Joseph christopher at ideadesigners.com
Mon Apr 14 14:23:03 GMT 2003

I have two win2k sp3 machines and mandrake 9.0 running samba 2.2.7 (with
the 2.2.8a patch) as the PDC. The Win2k machines have an identical
network setup but they markedly different response times communicating
with the network share (on the same machine as the Samba PDC).

[yes same NICs etc.)

A good example of the problem can be found when using Mozilla. I have
setup roaming profiles and so have moved the mozilla profiles onto the
network share for users. When downloading email from a pop server one
machine processes messages uoto 200% faster.

What should I be looking at to:

a) determine the problem.
b) optimise response times.

note: Samba setup runs on Celeron 2Ghz with 256 DDR Ram and two 133 ATA
disks.

--
Christopher Joseph

http://www.ideadesigners.com  [iseries & web technologies]